Cheese and Cheers Principal and Associates
David Phillips is a Chicago-based freelance writer and consultant, with nearly 20 years experience working in community news and business news. He currently contributes to Food Business News magazine and he spent eight years as chief editor of Dairy Foods magazine. Phillips also has served on a contract basis as program coordinator of the Cicerone™ Certification Program, he is a member of the American Cheese Society (ACS), and a board member of the Chicago Beer Society (CBS).
Phillips has also made numerous presentations and conducted tastings marrying craft beer and artisan cheese at both local Chicago venues and at national events. He is a homebrewer and has had his hands in a few vats of artisan cheese.
For additional expertise in wine, cheese, beer and technical food expertise, Phillips calls on a network of associates in Chicago and across the U.S. We work with clients in the artisan cheese, specialty foods and craft beer industries.
David Phillips Credentials
- Participating in organized beer events since 1994.
- Organizing beer and cheese tasting since 2006.
- Brewing experience includes more than 70 batches of home brewing, and one year at Brewing Co. No. 9, a Chicago brew-on-premise, 1999-2000.
- Served on the Board of the Chicago Beer Society since 2002, served as president in 2004. Organized Curds and Ale II, a joint CBS-ACS beer and cheese tasting, 2007-2008.
- Held a temporary sales position at Louis Glunz Beer distributor in 2000.
- Recently served as coordinator of the Certified Cicerone Program™ www.cicerone.org.
- Authored several articles and gave presentations on craft beer and artisan cheese.
- Experienced homebrew judge, having judged in organized local and regional competitions including CBS’s Spooky Brew Review and the Midwest Regional Round of National Homebrewer Association’s National Competition.
- Helped organize the hosting of the American Homebrew Association Conference, 2003.